The rule book contains a lot of clarifications, such as a FAQ (frequently asked questions), and I will expand the FAQ as new questions arise that weren’t in it for the rules page on this website. I have also updated a rule book that’s online to have the new questions here.
The first nine questions are in the rule book that comes with the game, but the rest are new. They can all be seen below.
1. How do you discard additional cards?
Additional cards are discarded one at a time. When discarding a card it must always have the same rank or color as the top card of the discard pile unless it’s an eight.
2. What happens if an eight is on top of the discard pile, but wasn’t the last card discarded?
It’s just an eight with a color. For example, the first card put into the discard pile before the game begins could be an eight. The next card discarded has to have the eight’s color, or be another eight.
3. What if two players draw cards from one ability?
If multiple players would draw cards from the same ability, then each player draws cards going clockwise.
4. Can you ask how many cards are in a player’s hand?
Yes, and they have to be honest. You may also count the number of cards in a player’s hand or in the draw pile at any time.
5. Can you name any color you want?
No. Named colors must be blue, green, red, or purple. e.g., you can’t name pink.
6. If a card ability puts an asset into play, may I still play another asset?
You may only play one card from your hand during your turn as a main phase action. Restrictions regarding playing one card per turn may be ignored when you play an event or asset from an ability.
7. Do I have to use card abilities?
Yes. If a card or ability says to do something, then you have to try to do it unless it says you may do it. For example, Devious Dragon says, “At the beginning of your turn, destroy any one asset that is in play on the table.” If your Devious Dragon is the only card in play on the table at the beginning of your turn, then it destroys itself.
8. What happens if a card ability does nothing?
You may play cards, even if the ability has no effect. For example, you may play Death, which destroys any one asset that’s in play on the table, even if there are no assets in play on the table.
9. What happens if you forget to do something?
If a card ability should have an effect on the game but players forgot and did other things, then it is too late with one exception. The one exception is when a player forgot to a draw card during the draw phase – They should still draw the card later if they forgot.
10. What does it mean to gain control of an asset?
You take the asset from another player, and you now control it. Put it in front of you. You now make choices for it, and you use the abilities. It is written for it to be read by the player who controls it.
11. Who controls an asset that an ability puts into play on the table?
If an asset or event puts an asset into play on the table, then it is controlled by the player who controls the asset or played the event. For example, the player who controls Princess Parizade can’t put a revealed asset into play on the table under another player’s control.
12. What cards do you control?
You control the asset cards that you have in play on the table. You don’t “control” cards that are in your hand.
13. What if you can’t discard?
Discarding is optional and there is no penalty when you can’t discard.
14. Can you protect yourself from losing the game at the end of your turn?
Yes, and you can kill yourself at the end of your turn from losing the game abilities.
For example, Temple of Doom can cause opponents to lose the game. If you get a fifth asset at the end of your turn before it takes effect, then you lose the game.
15. Can you win before the end of your turn?
Yes, the end of your turn is a phase, and you can win before that phase. For example, you can win with zero cards in your hand before you lose to Temple of Doom.
16. Can you exchange cards with someone who has King Khusrau II?
No, exchanging control requires each player to gain control of the other’s asset.
17. Can you win the game during a card ability before it resolves?
No, you can only win before a card ability resolves, or after a card ability resolves.
18. Can you prevent something from being destroyed more than once during a turn?
Usually, yes. For example, Sir Lancelot is capable of preventing an asset from being destroyed every single time one or more assets would be destroyed.
19. Can I play a card that has the wrong color?
20. Can you use an asset right away?
You can usually use an asset’s ability right away or at the end of your turn when you get the asset. One exception is beginning of turn abilities. You also can’t play an asset’s ability at the end of your turn when you got the asset at the end of your turn. End of turn abilities all happen at once, and you can’t discard cards at the end of your turn.
21. Do beginning of turn abilities happen before you draw a card?
22. Can you discard cards at the end of your turn?
No, only during your main phase.
23. If you gain control of Camelot with Morgause, can you skip your draw?
Yes, Camelot can change Morgause’s ability while you use the ability.
24. Can Sir Lancelot protect himself from being destroyed?
25. Does Sword in the Stone work with multicolored assets?
Yes. Sword in the Stone is an asset that says, “At the end of your turn, if all the assets you control are red, you may destroy any one asset that’s in play on the table.” If you control a red-blue asset, Sword in the Stone will still function. It will not function if an asset you control has no red color.
26. Can you use Mirror Universe when you control zero cards?
Yes. The opponent will gain control of all of your assets (zero) and you simultaneously gain control all of the opponent’s assets. You may also play Mirror Universe on an opponent who controls zero assets.
27. What happens when Ja’far plays the ability of a split card?
You have to choose which side’s ability you want to play.
28. Can Crystal Palace cause you to draw negative cards?
29. Can you ever lose additional discards?
Yes. For example, if you destroy all assets when Stream of Life or Oasis is in play, you will lose your additional discard. However, you can discard before you play a card from your hand to avoid this situation.
30. Can you ever discard cards during an opponent’s turn?
31. Are assets face up or face down?
They are face up.